Compounding is the word formation process in which two or more lexemes combine into a single new word. Compound words may be written as one word or as two words joined with a hyphen. For example:
- noun-noun compound: note + book → notebook
- adjective-noun compound: blue + berry → blueberry
- verb-noun compound: work + room → workroom
- noun-verb compound: breast + feed → breastfeed
- verb-verb compound: stir + fry → stir-fry
- adjective-verb compound: high + light → highlight
- verb-preposition compound: break + up → breakup
- preposition-verb compound: out + run → outrun
- adjective-adjective compound: bitter + sweet → bittersweet
- preposition-preposition compound: in + to → into
Compounds may be compositional, meaning that the meaning of the new word is determined by combining the meanings of the parts, or noncompositional, meaning that the meaning of the new word cannot be determined by combining the meanings of the parts. For example, a blueberry is a berry that is blue. However, a breakup is not a relationship that was severed into pieces in an upward direction.
Compound nouns should not be confused with nouns modified by adjectives, verbs, and other nouns. For example, the adjective black of the noun phrase black bird is different from the adjective black of the compound noun blackbird in that black of black bird functions as a noun phrase modifier while the black of blackbird is an inseparable part of the noun: a black bird also refers to any bird that is black in color while a blackbird is a specific type of bird.
NOTE: THE PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT IS FOR RCPS TEACHERS TO CERTIFY THAT THEY POSSESS THE EIGHT STANDARDS BELOW IN ORDER TO OBTAIN TEACHER RECERTIFICATION. TEACHERS ARE TO FILL IN THE CHECKLIST BELOW, PRINT IT, AND PRESENT IT TO THEIR PRINCIPAL. THE PRINCIPAL MAY REQUIRE ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE SUCH AS DOCUMENTS PRODUCED, COURSE OR WORKSHOP VERIFICATION, ETC. BEFORE SIGNING THAT HE/SHE CONCURS WITH THIS ASSESSMENT. THIS DOCUMENT THEN WILL BECOME PART OF THE TEACHER'S PERSONNEL FILE.
Name School Date
Check the Indicators that apply. To satisfy a Standard, at least half of the Indicators shown for that Standard should be checked.
1. Instructional personnel shall be able to demonstrate effective use of a computer system and utilize computer software.
I am able to:
Turn my computer and its peripherals on and shut them down properly
Save/retrieve files to/from a specified location
Select a printer and print a document to a specified printer
Project the image on my computer through a projector so the class can view the information
Organize files by creating folders in a specified location and storing files in them
Make a backup of selected files from my Documents to an external location such as a USB flash drive
2. Instructional personnel shall be able to apply knowledge of terms associated with educational computing and technology.
I am able to define the following terms:
Operating system (Windows XP, Mac OS, e.g.)
Local Storage, Cloud Storage
Hardware (monitor, keyboard, mouse)
Peripheral devices (printer, document camera, projector)
Network-related terms (Ethernet, file server, local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), proxy server, filtering software)
Handheld devices (personal response system, iPod, iPad, GPS, etc.)
File types such as .doc, .xls, .jpg, etc.
3. Instructional personnel shall be able to apply computer productivity tools for professional use.
I am able to:
Create and edit a word processing document, professional in appearance and free from typing and spelling errors
Enhance a word processing document by adding clip art or images from a digital camera, scanner or the Internet
Edit the data in a given spreadsheet file
Create a spreadsheet that incorporates simple functions such as sums or averages
Access student information and complete all gradebook tasks required of my job using PowerSchool
4. Instructional personnel shall be able to use electronic technologies to access and exchange information.
I am able to:
Send a message and reply to a received message using my FirstClass e-mail account
Post a message on my school's News folder
Exchange files with a colleague using an e-mail attachment
Launch an Internet browser (Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer) and go to a specified site (e.g. http://www.doe.virginia.gov)
Navigate and locate resources found on the Rockingham County Public Schools' web site
Use an Internet search site (e.g. Google) to find appropriate classroom information
Use the school's automated library media center to locate resources in the school library
5. Instructional personnel shall be able to identify, locate, evaluate, and use appropriate instructional hardware and software to support Virginia's Standards of Learning and other instructional objectives.
I am able to:
Identify, access, and evaluate web sites appropriate for student use in my curriculum
Use school instructional software in my curriculum
Create lessons which incorporate the use of interactive whiteboards
Create lessons which incorporate the use of handheld devices (student response systems, iPods, iPads, GPS, etc.)
Create lessons which incorporate the use of document cameras
Create lessons which incorporate the use of instructional videos either from DVD/CD or streamed from the internet
Create lessons which incorporate the use of digital cameras or video cameras
6. Instructional personnel shall be able to use educational technologies for data collection, information management, problem solving, decision making, communication, and presentation within the curriculum.
I am able to:
Create a presentation with software such as Microsoft PowerPoint, iMovie, or Notebook
Create a chart or graph using data entered in a spreadsheet
Communicate to parents and colleagues through the use of e-mail, class/personal website, blogs, and/or comments posted in online gradebook
Organize information in a spreadsheet so it can be used for decision making
Create a classroom/personal web page/blog
7. Instructional personnel shall be able to plan and implement lessons and strategies that integrate technology to meet the diverse needs of learners in a variety of educational settings.
I am able to:
Design lessons integrating the use of technology for use in a computer lab setting and in the classroom
Locate resources on the internet appropriate for students who are in need of remedial support of my curriculum and for those students who should be challenged to achieve beyond the standard curriculum
Utilize adaptive technology resources, as teaching assignments dictate
Design lessons which incorporate best Internet Safety practices for students
8. Instructional personnel shall demonstrate knowledge of ethical and legal issues relating to the use of technology.
I abide by and can explain to others:
The Rockingham County Public Schools' Acceptable Use Policy
Copyright and Fair Use laws
Appropriate use of social networking sites
The responsible use of technology, including the importance of password security
I concur with this self-evaluation. Principal______________________________ Date______________